Monday, May 2, 2011

Roll Starting Cars With Automatic Transmissions

Most people will tell you that roll starting a car with an automatic transmission is impossible. For the most part they're right but not always.

I once owned a 1969 2 Wheel Drive Jeep with a Borg-Warner automatic transmission that I roll started for several months. A number of other cars like older Chevrolets and Chryslers made prior to 1970 could also be roll started. But generally it's believed that modern automatics will not roll start.

But after reading about someone who was able to roll start a 2000 Nissan Altima I decided to test my own '91 Tercel to see if it will also roll start and learned that by coasting down a big hill the Tercel would roll start at about 20 miles per hour in 'Drive'.

I'm sure there are other automatic transmission cars that will roll start and would love to hear the make, model, year, gear selection and speed necessary to roll start other cars with automatic transmissions.